Friday, September 6, 2013

Soccer Season is Here

You may recall that in the spring, Sam was a valued member of the Cracker Jacks soccer team. I am now proud to announce that Sam is a Duck. We requested a new team because the Cracker Jacks practiced at 4 p.m. two days a week, and it was nearly impossible for us to get him there. It also turned out that on the rare occasion we could make a practice, Sam was always bleary-eyed and grumpy, having just woken up from his nap at school and been forced to forgo snack time (his favorite time).

SO, Sam's a Duck, his practice is at 5 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays, AND, a bonus -- he LOVES it. He has three very enthusiastic coaches, who are men, which I only point out because apparently it matters very much to Sam. While he seemed to like the three young women (UNC students) who were his coaches in the spring, there is certainly something about these guys that get him totally pumped up. He works very hard for them and likes to show off how fast he can run, often to the detriment of the game -- mostly he just runs past the ball or trips over it. I'm still trying to wrap my head around his change of attitude. A lot of it is developmental, to be sure, but I think Sam is also responding to the very male-ness of these guys. There's a lot of fist pumping and high five-ing and yelling. I don't know.

Untitled
Here we are, warming up.

Untitled
Talking about Duck game strategy.

Untitled
Practicing the super kick.

Untitled
Sweaty boy.

Practicing his dribble and pass.


Sorry this is sideways, ugh. But you can see how quick Sam is off the line. Too bad this wasn't a race.

No comments:

Post a Comment