On November 30 Sam attended his first college football team -- a classic rivalry between Duke and UNC. The game was sold out, probably due to Duke's stellar performance on the field this year. We brought along my dad and stepmother, because my dad is a life-long Duke fan. The weather cooperated -- it was crisp and clear, just as you always imagine it would feel like when you see yourself sitting at a football game. I think Sam enjoyed it. It was a bit of a mixed bag, but overall he did great, and I know he won't forget it. The whole outing almost failed from the start, when UNC launched a cannon and/or fireworks at the beginning of the game. Sam, whom you know has never been good with loud noises, panicked, started crying and immediately begged to leave. I tried to calm him down by telling him that they only did that at the beginning of the game (I was wrong -- they shoot them after every touchdown), but he couldn't settle down. The scene was dramatic enough to elicit the sympathy of a man sitting one row back who gave us earplugs. I still think about him and wish I could thank him again. He saved the game! Sam loved the earplugs and was really able to enjoy himself after that. Add earplugs to the list of things (wet wipes, bandaids, etc.) that I will always remember to pack.
This is right before the crying started.
No comments:
Post a Comment