I've had tons more fun thinking about Sam's Room 2.0 than I did the beta version. I can only imagine that's due to my obsession with Pinterest. And, am I late to the game? I also discovered another fun website to wile away many the hour, called Houzz, which has some fun kid's rooms. And then, just in case I'd like to quit my full-time job to pursue a life of interior-design, I found Olioboard.
![]() |
I'm thinking a mix of different, perhaps even clashing, hues of blue (really trying not to be too matchy) with some orange accents.
My goals for this room:
- To keep the chair we have already (a sweet deal from Urban Outfitters that I first discovered on -- wait for it -- Pinterest), in addition to our blue rug -- a great find from the Pottery Barn outlet in S.C.
- To reflect Sam's personality. His favorite color is orange. He has a passion for all vehicles. And we think he may have a real penchant for geography.
- To paint the walls a bolder hue. Maybe just an accent wall.
- To introduce elements that will grow with him.
- To turn his room into a place where he will actually want to hang out and play (he currently views it as a sleep-only space).
- To gain more storage. Currently his books are randomly tucked everywhere, and I'm sure we'll continue to accumulate toys. The plan is to get some variation of the Expedit from IKEA, perhaps coupled with some colorful storage baskets.
What do you think? Is it a little too stimulating? We don't want him sleeping less than he already does.

Olioboard and Houzz... O M G. I'm pretty sure the boys will have the run of the house today. No naps. No reading. No food. No hygiene. But lots and lots of Olioboards!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteSo good to know about these websites! Also, is Sam's window right near his bed or no? If not, I'd do a patterned curtain/shade rather than the solid orange. I think when you put this all together, you might find that you wanted more pattern other than the comforter. . . ?
ReplyDeleteAlissa, the room is pretty small, so it will be close enough that I think you're right. Something about the curtains didn't seem right. I like the idea of a patterned shade.... Would I have to have that made?
ReplyDeletePossibly depending on the size of your window. You could even go with a pre-made fabric shade (without those annoying cords) in a solid color and then hang the banner(s) over it--wall to wall over the window and shade--which could be a substitute for a patterned shade.
ReplyDelete